MB1 Common Questions:
- What is the Lead time of the microBender?
Depending on our backlog, we should be able to ship within 30 to 60 days.
- Can I watch a video of the micro bender?
A video is available at our website (www.AOSmicro.com) and YouTube: Click Here
- What are the power requirements?
The machine is designed for 120 – 220 VAC to accommodate customers globally. The power required is less than 760 Watts.
- What is the cost of the JawDraw® software? Is there an annual maintenance fee? JawDraw® is SaaS (Software as a Service) and requires an Internet connection. The cost is per user per year, and it depends on the number of concurrent users.
- What is the Price of the micro bender?
The Micro Bender cost is almost the same as the yearly salary for two technicians in the USA while it’s producing for eight ones forever, without taking time off or requires participation in benefits.
- What are the potential savings by using the microBender?
Using conservative calculations, one microBender will do the work of eight manual bending technicians, more efficiently and far more accurate. There are many other “invisible” costs. When developing a real ROI, be sure to consider:
1. Hiring Related Costs
2. On-boarding Costs
3. Worker Benefits
4. Safety Related Expenses
Higher Profit Potential:
1. Higher Productive Time
2. Better Quality and Less Scrap
3. Higher Capacity
- What is the cost of tooling?
The cost of tooling for different wire diameters is around US$4,318. Each toolset can cover a range of wire diameters; for example, the 036 tools will cover wire diameters from 0.032” (0.81 mm) to 0.036” (0.91 mm).
The following tools are available:
- Is there International support and sales?
Currently, support is available from our Tampa location and our European office in Athens, Greece. We are setting up and training new distributors throughout the most extensive international markets
- What about training? How can we train our people on how to use the microBender?
One-to-one training is available in Tampa, USA. We can also send one of our engineers to your site. We also have 24/7 online training available on our website, via our AOS Academy program (Online Learning Management System)
JawDraw® CAD Software:
- Could you tell us about the details of the design software JawDraw®? What can we do with it?
Our JawDraw® software is very intuitive. It uses templates and a visual wizard to minimize design time and effort. User friendly, anyone with simple computer knowledge can master it in a couple of weeks.
The total solution consists of two major components: The machine and the CAD/CAM software. The device has its software that controls and converts simple data into “machine language” for the production.
JawDraw® software is CAD/CAM software, which allows the users to quickly draw an appliance by selecting preset forms from its library of templates.
JawDraw® software is only available as SaaS (Software as a Service) and requires an Internet connection.
- Can the bender accept any scan info or only 3Shape?
Our software, JawDraw®, will read any STL file. No problems have been reported so far.
- Can we design and bend some types of orthodontic apparatus like a lingual arch, Quad helix, Adams clasp, and so on by using Jaw Draw software and MB-1?
MB-1 cannot bend any full circles/loops/springs like the ones sometimes found in a Quad Helix. JawDraw® currently has eight custom templates:
- labial bow
- wraparound bow
- C Claps
- support wire
- lingual arc
- Ball Clasp (without the ball)
Please note that these templates can be customized, depending on your needs.
Adams clasp may be available in the future, but since the broad availability of pre-fabricated Adams clasps, we are not sure if it is worth to make with the microBender.
We have noticed that many of the appliances have different names throughout the industry, as they often contain different variations or methods.
We can also program new templets for your needs.
- Can I program shapes not related to orthodontics?
It is possible but not currently available, not released yet. Currently, our primary market is Orthodontics.
- How long does it take to make a new retainer?
Depending on the experience of the user, it will take a minimum of two to three minutes. A three-minute setup can be viewed at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8GwLZgNssM&feature=youtu.be
- Can the micro bender bend a small tight helix as per a “z” spring or quad helix?
MB-1 cannot make spring or quad helix or any full circle/spring designs.
- Could you tell us about the average time for bending the full buccal arch apparatus?
Our solution will bend a full Wraparound in 30-40 Seconds. Using JawDraw®, the user can design it in three to five minutes.
- How much time does one need to change a wire spool?
Changing a spool of wire of the same diameter will take a couple of minutes. Varying wire diameters, depending on the diameter difference, may require a tool change and may take another five to ten minutes.
We also need to mention that if we have a new wire setup (if a particular wire was never calibrated), the setup time will take about an hour to an hour and a half for the calibration. Then the setup is “saved” and can be reused.
- Does the wire sold through AOS carry FDA approval?
To the best of our knowledge, No FDA approval is needed for the orthodontic wire. We can provide a COC (Certificate Of Compliance) from the manufacturer. The wire manufacturer is FDA Registered and ISO 13485, 9001, and 9100 certified.
- What is the specification of the wire provided?
The wire supplied is Stainless Steel, 304V Alloy, USA origin. It has the best quality available, extremely minimal torsion, and almost perfectly straight. Because of long lead times from the manufacturer, we stock larger quantities, and in most cases, we can ship within two workdays.
Each machine is calibrated to the wires ordered before shipment, and they are ready for production.
- How many appliances can we produce with one spool?
Each spool has approximately 10 Lbs. of wire (4.5 Kg.) Depending on the wire diameter, we estimate 7,250 pieces (for 0.36” wire), to 23,000 pieces (for 0.020” wire). Below is a very conservative table, showing some production data and costs.
- Can I use my wire?
You can run other wire in the machine as long as it is perfectly straight, have low torsion, and be consistent/repeatable. We cannot guarantee the results or provide support when you run other wire. Also, depending on the size and hardness, a different wire may damage and shorten the life of the cutter and bending tools. When using different materials, you will need to create a new tool file and calibrate for that wire.
- AOS has collaborated with wire suppliers to introduce the wire to the machine in spool form as opposed to precut straight pieces; this enables us to secure lower cycle times and minimal material waste. On average, you can expect >10,000 pieces per wire spool!
Can I use rectangular material (instead of round)?
The short answer is No. We are currently building a different model for the rectangular material, with the 3rd order capability (twist).